Easy Egg Salad Recipe
Growing up, we would often have egg salad sandwiches for lunch. My mom’s recipe for egg salad was simple, with just eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.
I’ve made a few changes to her simple egg salad but I’ve kept everything that you crave in a classic egg salad recipe.
You can make this delicious egg salad ahead and refrigerate it for three days, so it’s great for meal prep. If you cook your eggs ahead of time, this healthy egg salad recipe comes together in just minutes. It’s perfect for a quick lunch. For more easy lunch ideas, try my best chicken salad recipe or my classic tuna salad.
Why you will love this recipe
- This egg salad is simple to make with just 4 ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
- This recipe has the perfect amount of creamy dressing. Your egg salad sandwich will be creamy and flavorful, not soggy.
- Egg salad is great to meal prep for make ahead meals and snacks.
How healthy is egg salad?
Egg salad is a healthy meal option. Eggs are an inexpensive, high protein food. They are nutrient-dense and fill you up so you won’t be hungry again right away.
My egg salad recipe calls for plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise, your choice. Greek yogurt is a healthier option and I bet you won’t taste the difference. Of course, you can use mayonnaise if you prefer.
You might also like my healthy deviled eggs. If you find yourself with extra hard boiled eggs, they’re great to make for quick snacks.
How to make egg salad
There are only a few simple steps to make the best egg salad!
- Hard boil your eggs. Below, I’ll teach you my two favorite methods for cooking eggs.
- Peel and chop the eggs. While you’re at it, chop some red onion.
- Whisk together the salad dressing. I do this right in the mixing bowl to save an extra dish.
- Stir everything together.
How to make hard boiled eggs
Since I’ve gotten an Instant Pot, I always cook my eggs in it. Here’s how to make perfect hard boiled eggs.
You can also hard boil your eggs on the stove. Fill a pot with cool water and add the eggs. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 14 minutes.
Then drain out the hot water and then let the eggs sit in an ice bath for 10 minutes before peeling. An ice bath is just a pot or bowl filled with ice and water. Remove the egg shells right away.
My egg salad recipe includes just a few ingredients: hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt or mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, red onion, salt and pepper. If you have a favorite egg salad ingredient, add it in! This recipe is easy to customize to your tastes.
How to serve
Serve this egg salad in sandwiches or wrapped in lettuce for a light lunch. My favorite way to eat this egg salad is on a piece of toasted bread, topped with sliced avocado. Try it and let me know how you like it!
How long will egg salad last?
Egg salad will last for 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Do not let egg salad sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Tips for making this recipe
- Cook your eggs ahead of time and refrigerate. Then your egg salad will be quick and easy to make.
- Change up the mix-ins to make your best egg salad recipe. Try adding finely chopped celery, shallot or green onion in place of the red onion. Add chives or other fresh herbs.
- You can use yellow mustard in place of the Dijon mustard if you prefer.
Easy Egg Salad
My easy egg salad recipe makes the best egg salad sandwiches. It starts with perfectly hard boiled eggs and a creamy dressing. Make egg salad sandwiches or serve in lettuce wraps for a light meal.
Keyword egg salad, egg salad recipe, egg salad sandwiches
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper or to taste
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion or to taste
- Cook eggs: Fill a pot with cool water and add the eggs. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pot with a lid, turn off the heat and let stand for 14 minutes.
- Immediately drain the hot water and fill the pot with cold water and ice. Let sit for 10 minutes and then peel the eggs.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, plain Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise), salt and pepper.
- Chop the eggs and add them to the bowl, along with the chopped red onion.
- Stir until well combined.
- Taste and season, as needed.
- Serve egg salad in a sandwich with lettuce, on toasted bread topped with sliced avocado, or in lettuce wraps.
Store egg salad in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Serving: 1/4 recipe | Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 281mg | Sodium: 307mg | Sugar: 2g
Nutrition information is an estimate.