The best grilled cheese always starts with a sturdy bread, lots of cheese and a smear of …
butter mayonnaise on the outside!
The Best Grilled Cheese
Friends, there are NO wrong answers for making this lunchtime classic. As long as you’ve got bread and a generous amount of cheese, you’ve got the basis for the best grilled cheese sandwich.
Best Bread for Grilled Cheese:
This is what making grilled cheese is all about!
- Use whatever bread you love, but make sure it is sturdy enough to hold the cheese in.
- White bread and sourdough are the most popular, but even a thickly sliced boule will make a perfect grilled cheese!
- Dark rye and pumpernickel pair well with lighter cheeses like Gouda or Havarti (add a slice of pear or apple between the slices for a sweet crunch!)
What is the Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese?
Grilled cheese sandwiches are not the place for cheese judgement. Anything goes!
- A classic grilled cheese is made with American cheese and white bread (but I love sneaking in sharp cheddar too)!
- Real cheddar, a bit of provolone, creamy processed cheese, leftover brie from last night’s party. Any and all varieties work!
- Pick your favorite or all of them! Smooth, creamy and oh so dreamy!
<img title="Grilled cheese sandwiches are the perfect lunch recipe. Bread is filled with gooey cheese and panfried until it has a perfectly golden crust. Dip in tomato soup for the perfect lunch recipe! #spendwithpennies #grilledcheese #grilledcheesesandwich #lunchrecipe #easyrecipe" src="data:;base64,” alt=”Ingredients for grilled cheese sandwich on a wooden board” width=”471″ height=”314″ />
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Most of us know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, but do you know how to make an amazing grilled cheese? Here are my tips to make the best grilled cheese:
- Low Heat: Low heat allows the bread to get a golden crust while the cheese has a chance to melt.
- Open faced: If you’re filling it really full with cheese and other goodies, start by cooking it without a top slice of bread and covered for a couple of minutes. It won’t get soggy but the little bit of steam helps melt the cheese. Once the cheese starts to melt, add the top slice of bread.
- Get Cheesy: It really doesn’t matter what cheese you use as long as its one you love and don’t skimp on it! I cover every corner of the bread, nobody wants a grilled cheese without loads of cheese.
The BEST Tip for a Perfect Grilled Cheese
My friends, this is a must. I make grilled cheese without butter! Swap out the butter on the outside of the sandwich for mayonnaise. Cook mayonnaise side down in the pan.
Your grilled cheese will come out perfectly golden with a crust that doesn’t get soggy and is not greasy!
If the pan is too hot, the cheese won’t melt before the outside is cooked. If you notice the cheese taking awhile, cover it with a lid. The steam will help melt the cheese so it cooks evenly!
Honestly, what can’t you add?
Caramelized onions, sliced apples. or pears, bacon, and even a smear of crunchy peanut butter can take your grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level!
What Can I Add to My Grill Cheese?
Add pepperoni for a pizza grilled cheese and of course my all time favorite Dill Pickle Bacon Grilled Cheese!